Sunday 5 July 2015

Latest Paintings

At the AVA session last Thursday I decided to continue with  animal paintings. I picked the subjects from photos I'd saved to the ipad and made the initial drawings the day before the AVA session. I used a 2B lead pencil which I sharpened before proceeding. The procedure again was to make a loose drawing, as accurate as I'm able, with not too much detail. I'm still affected by the accident to my right hand, that dislocated my little finger. My control has been affected and it's hard to be precise - even though I try not to be too fussy and don't want to get over detailed.


 Stage One - Cheetah and cub.


Painted the cub first, the head of mother then started on the greenery


16" x 12" Centenaire 140lb (300gsm) not


Tiger Waiting for Prey - 16" x 12" Waterford 140lb (300gsm) not


A closer look


16" x 12" Tiger Waiting for Prey! Waterford High White 140lb (300gsm) not

You may note that the paintings don't take up all the paper. I am loath to cover every inch with paint and the approach is more towards a vignette. I don't plan to frame them but if I did something like 12" x 8", with a wide mount would probably do. 

I completed the paintings in two hours, the exception being the Tiger where I added some white acrylic paint three days later.

Colours used included Raw Umber, Raw Sienna, Translucent Brown (Schminke), Quinacridone Gold (DS PO49), Quinacridone Rust (Graham PO48), Cerulean Blue, Ivory Black, Sap Green (Graham), Apatite Green (DS) and possibly touches of one or two others. Ultramarine Blue with either Translucent Brown or Burnt Umber for the darks.Does it look as if I've gone mad and used too many colours? I don't think so myself - why not?  

Brushes used were the Isabey Travel brushes Sizes 4 and 6, Escoda travel brushes 8 & 10 and the Rosemary Kolinsky travel brush Size 6. I think that's it.





No comments: