Monday 9 March 2015

Animals - Avon Valley Artists

This was the subject at last weeks session, at which fourteen members were present. I think one can say it is a fairly popular subject.


The early stages starting with the eyes



Peter Ward - Primate 16" x 12" Centenaire 140lb (300gsm) not

I relished this subject using an image picked up from Google and saved on the ipad. I wanted to diverge  (a la Gerard Hendriks) from the fairly dull original colours, roughly combinations and variations of Burnt Umber, Raw Umber and greys, put in painting terms, and add more colour. One of my many faults is a tendency to  carelessness and I reached a stage here when I thought it would end up as a dogs dinner of a painting. I don't think it quite that but it certainly isn't as I originally intended and I've been pondering it since, and may well have another shot. The lesson - study the subject in great detail, pick out the main features and don't rush things. Although some regard this as being beyond the pale I suggest the ipad apps Value Viewer and Waterlogue can be very helpful providing you don't become over reliant on them. 


Yvonne Harry


Jan Weeks


Jo McKenna (not watercolour)






All in all an enjoyable sesion. Next week it is `glass/china !


2 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

Great selection really well painted. Love hearing your thought process too.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Polly.