Friday 26 October 2012

Avon Valley Artists Thursday 25 October

This week the subject was `Fruit' just that. Although attendance has not been great this session we had the unusually low figure of only eight members present. 



Thin on the ground!

Those present painted either from photographs or fruit they had brought to the hall.


Robert


Eileen


Helen


Pauline


John
 
 
Yvonne

 See www.watercolourflorals.blogspot.co.uk/ as Yvonne has already done a comprehensive post with photographs, description of paints used and other information. Well worth a look.


Pat

Where is mine?


This is my setup, the drawing completed the previous day and starting with the pineapple.


Fruit. 16" x 12" Centenaire 140lb (300gsm) not

The colours in the pineapple are mainly Quinacridone Gold (DS PO49), Quinacridone Rust (Graham PO48). There is also a little Cerulean and Burnt Umber. The top is a mix of Cerulean, Viridian, Hansa Yellow Medium (DS PY97) and Cobalt Teal Blue DS PG50). The apples are (left) Quinacridone Coral (DS PR209), Sap Green (Graham), and a touch of yellow. The right hand apple is Quinacridone Rose (Graham PV19), Quinacridone Purple (DS) and Sap Green. The orange is Cadmium Orange (Maimeri PO20), Transparent Orange (Schminke PO71) and some yellow. The grapes are Moonglow (DS) and some Quinacridone Rose. The (difficult) melon is a mix of Quinacridone Gold, Raw Sienna and Raw Umber.  The pear is Raw Umber and ? (can't remember!). It isn't perfect - mine never are - but I am reasonably happy with the result.
 
 I used the Escoda 1214 retractable Kolinsky sable Size 12 for 90% of the painting. This is the equivalent size to several other size 10s or even 8 in some cases. Escoda's are smaller in general size for size but are good and well priced.
 
 
 
A final view of all the paintings.
 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Another good week in the life of your society. Enjoyable array of well executed paintings.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Mick. Not bad are they.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

You are so fortunate to be able to paint with such a varied group of artists Peter. i do like the 2 grape paintings. You have a very nice composition Peter, though a few more darks would really make it sing.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ray. Several very good artists were missing on Thursday also.

I think the fact we paint the same basic subject is a big plus. I have belonged to other groups where everyone does their own thing and it isn't the same.

We are fortunate in that the standard is high with artists like Yvonne settingt a standard. Over the years that I've been painting with this group I have seen the overall standard increase quite dramatically. I agree with you about the grape paintings. The only adverse comment on mine I received on the day (from Yvonne) was that the Melon was on the bland side compared to the rest. I know what she meant but am not sure how to address that other than to introduce arbitrary colours but it's probably too late. Actually, as frequently seems to happen, the actual painting looks better than the representation on here.

Yvonne Harry said...

I hope you did not think I was being too critical on Thursday Peter. I thought it was one of the best you have done for a while and I loved the way the pineapple developed. With regard to the melon, I think the problem lies in the choice of fruit. It is quite large and dominant, without a lot of interest in the shape. I don't think you can do much now, but another time maybe chose a fruit eg like a bunch of grapes which has more about it.

Peter Ward said...

No I'm not bothered Yvonne. The melon was probably a poor choice, both in terms of shape and colouring.

artist said...

Not that I know what I'm doing but could you possibly use the same if not similar blue color that is on the pineapple on the bottom of the melon, to push it behind the orange?
That's my 2 cents and that's probably what it's worth.

I think that your painting group is great - I may not comment but I stop by your blog everyday.

Peter Ward said...

Hi Delilah. Thanks for commenting. I've been pondering what to do. Leave it alone or add some arbitrary colour to the melon - maybe blue as you say or possibly orange.