Saturday 25 August 2012

Latest Attempt at Evie

Even prior to the wonderful portrait of Evie painted by Gerard Hendriks, I had started another due to some fair criticism and my own dissatisfaction with my previous study. I had basically only completed the drawing and when I saw Gerards version, it gave considerable food for thought, although I never contemplated attempting to rigidly copy his approach. For one thing I couldn't and another that the Charles Reid way has been my template for developing portraiture. Even here Charles says you shouldn't just try and copy the way he paints. I've learned a lot from Charles and there is a lot to be learned from Gerard . A little bird has told me that there is a possibility Gerard may come to the UK for a workshop(s) in either 2013 or 2014 but this is still at a very early stage. I've expressed an interest and been promised I'll be kept informed. At my age I hope this isn't too long delayed!


 The initial drawing.

I did make some changes as I went along, especially on the left facing side. Often I look at the drawing (and painting) after a few hours and realise some things are not quite right so try and correct.

 Evie - 15" x 11" Fabriano Artistico 90lb Not

I'm not unhappy with this. I realise the `rose' is a little too large compared to the actual photograph. I can see another possible criticism but I'm not going to labour it. Overall I like it. As Charles says faults are part of it.

The features and skin colours were combinations of Cadmium Red Pale, Raw Sienna and Cerulean. Some Cobalt or Ultramarine added to get the darker areas around the eyes.The hair mainly various mixes of Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna with some Cyan Blue (Maimeri PB15:3). 

My usual brushes, the Isabeys and Da Vinci's.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful portrait, painterly and displaying a likeness that wasn't discernible in your last one. She and her parents must be delighted with it.

Sharon Whitley said...

In full agreement with Mick - a portrait to be proud of, well done, it was definitely worth persevering!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Mick and Sharon. Actually Evie and her parents are on holiday in Spain at present so they haven't seen it yet.

I tried harder with this one and I think this, together with another key thing, that the source photo was much better, brought this about.

Gerard Hendriks said...

Good job Peter and the likeness is quite good!!!

Judy said...

I think it is a fabulous portrait and the likeness is really good!

Peter Ward said...

That's praise indeed from you Gerard. Many thanks.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Judy for those kind comments.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

Excellent portrait Peter. You had it right from the start with the fine drawing.

Oscar Solis said...

This is a very nice painting. The likeness is there and as Mr. Maclachan wrote it was there at the start with the drawing. The drawing is the key and the foundation on which everything is built upon.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ray. Yes the drawing is the key.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for commenting Oscar. Drawing is king. I wish I'd spent more time just drawing when I first started.

Anonymous said...

This portrait is just wonderful!
Congrats Peter....
Carol

artist said...

I love it!
It's fresh and clean. She looks her age. The bloom on her cheeks are just right.

Great job!
Delilah

Peter Ward said...

Thank you very much Carol.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Delilah. At last I seem to have got her right.