Tuesday 20 April 2010

Plein Air

For the first time this year I was able to paint outside this last weekend. The location is about 100 yards from my home, which although in a modern estate is on the edge of farmland. I have painted this scene many times with varying results.


The first attempt was last Saturday and after unloading all my kit I realised I had forgotten the walkstool! This obliged me to paint standing up which I'm not comfortable with. I know many top artists like Trevor Chamberlain say you should stand up to paint but each to his own. I don't have the steadiest of hands and sitting down enables me to overcome this handicap by resting my little finger on the paper a la Charles Reid. The first painting was unsatisfactory once I had a good look at it and it was soon discarded. This prompted me to try again, and with excellent weather conditions I returned  on Sunday to the same spot. The resulting painting, which I was more careful with follows.

Fabriano Artistico Not 19" x 15" Keynsham Manor

Keynsham Manor has a long history going back some hundreds of years. There are a pair of really enormous beech trees at the entrance, which I relegated to a minor role and simplified. They tower way above. Owls usually nest in one of them. Overall it is a very complicated subject with masses of `stuff'  and in the past I've often tried to put too much in. The Manor is now split into three separate residences and I know the couple who own it and live in one section. John has told me something of the history.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A very successful piece. Good values and great colour choices You have made good choices in selecting what to leave in and what to ignore. Like it a lot.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Mick. I'm fairly happy with this one, although as I've said the first effort bit the dust. It really is a complicated subject and what to leave out seems to be the key. Assuming you get that right of course!